In this course, you will learn the skills needed to produce data visualisations with Adobe Illustrator, while gaining some knowledge in best charting practices. While there are there are plenty of programs and resources out there that can generate charts without coding, Adobe Illustrator has the ability to both generate charts and also allow for complete customisation.
The course begins by establishing a foundational understanding of the software: creating documents, identifying and navigating the interface, understanding vector graphics, drawing and manipulating shapes, working with colour, typography, and successfully publishing projects.
After the foundations have been laid, the course then moves onto focusing on learning both the technical skills used to produce a wide range of charts, along with some theory behind each chart. With Adobe Illustrator, you’ll be able to publish your charts or info-graphics for both digital devices or print projects. We’ll also cover how to make your charts responsive to adapt for changing screen sizes.
A free course manual that contains all of the course content is included, which you can always refer back to after you have completed the course.
Why learn Adobe Illustrator over other data visualization tools?
Adobe Illustrator is a powerful, vector-based, design application that gives you:
Complete control over the visual design of charts (styling and composition)
The ability to produce professional print-ready PDFs, required for print-based projects
The ability to touch-up and refine charts exported from other solutions such as R
The tool most commonly used by infographic designers
Who is this course for?
For those with no prior knowledge of Adobe Illustrator, looking to use it for data visualisation focused projects. This could include:
Data visualisation practitioners looking to produce customised visualisations
Anyone looking to produce data visualisation graphics but with no programming skills
We will assume little or no prior knowledge of Adobe Illustrator in this course but you should have a basic working knowledge of either the Windows or Mac interface as well as some basic knowledge of spreadsheet software such as Microsoft Excel.
Typically, the course runs from 9:00am - 4:00pm (your time), with an hour lunch break and two short breaks. However, we can be flexible on this.
The number of days the course will take depends on the number of people taking part. But typically for an individual person, the course lasts 2.5 to 3 days.
Setting up Illustrator Projects
– Creating a new document
– Identify project requirements
– Identify user interface elements
– Create and select Workspaces
– Navigate and zoom documents
– Learn the difference between vector and raster image formats
– Using the shape and line tools to create basic geometry
– Using the pen tool to create custom shapes and trace maps
– Stroke panel, arrows and callout lines
– Grids, rulers, and guides
– Selecting and grouping objects
– Transform and modify elements
– Align and Distribute Objects
– Apply transparency to objects
– Create and manipulate text
– Organise artwork using layers
– Create and manage multiple Artboards
– Creating symbols
– Selecting and applying colours
– Creating colour swatches
– Applying and modifying gradients
– Identifying common file formats
– Saving and exporting
– Infographics VS Data Visualisation
– Understanding each chart
– Best Charting Practices
The Graph Tools
– The Graph Data window
– Column Graph Tool and Bar Graph Tool
– Stacked Column Graph Tool and Stacked Bar Graph Tool
– Line Graph Tool
– Area Graph Tool
– Scatter Graph Tool
– Pie Graph Tool
– Radar Graph Tool
Format and Customise The Graph Tools
– Graph Type Menu
– Graph Design Menu
– Graph Column Menu
– Graph Marker Menu
– Combine Different Graph Types
– Modifying Drawn Graphs
Exploiting The Graph Tools to Create Additional Charts
– Creating a Dot Plot
– Creating a Unit Chart or Pictogram Chart
– Creating a Dot Distribution Plot or Barcode Plot
– Creating Proportional Area Chart
– Creating a Slopegraph >
Making Charts Responsive
– How to use ai2html
If you're interested in this course, then press the Apply Now button below and fill in the enquiry form to get in touch. We can then discuss the solutions to fit your training needs and the costs involved.